About us at Heli Weddings
Heli Weddings was created by us, Fredrik & Laura while walking our dog Frank along the river in Wanaka. We were bouncing ideas as always and I said“What about doing wedding packages with helicopters” and that was it, Heli Weddings was born that day back in 2007.
Laura is originally from the UK and was an event planner there. When we came to NZ in 2005. She started the first wedding planning business in the area called Mint Events
Me, Fredrik is from Sweden and I use to ski in the Swedish National Freestyle team. I have been involved in everything from riding BMX shows, big wave windsurfing, rock climbing, MTB and now Race car driver. I have been a fulltime photographer since 1998 all over the world and have shot everything from sports, celebrities to advertising and weddings. I have put all my effort that was previous into sport to photography and have over the years been awarded more tha 100 Photography Awards. The one I am most proud over is the 2nd place in the Top 10 Wedding photographers in the world.
We also have Meagan, originally from South Africa. She works for us shooting weddings and answering your emails. If you are up on the ski field seeing someone on a Snow bike it’s probably her. An amazing mountain bike rider and all-round superstar photographer.
Together we also run UP Studios a large commercial photography studio here in Queenstown. It’s the perfect companion to Heli Weddings as we can offer a beautiful all white indoor location for our weddings and we have access to all the latest cameras and gear.
We love our work and a lot of our time goes to how we can make things even better for our couples. Over the years other companies have come and gone trying to emulate what we do and it’s always a good thing as it keeps us on our toes and helps up be better and stay on top of the game.
The Behind the Scenes stuff
We moved to NZ in 2005 and got married here back in 2007 and since that day the longest Laura & I have been apart in 7 days!!
We now have to great boys, Lucas 11 and Noa 7 they are already planning who is going to do what in the business… I think Noa is going to be a pilot.
Life is precious and even though it’s easy to think that it’s all amazing when reflected in the world of social media we have had our share of obstacles over the years like everyone else. In the end it all helps us come back stronger and gives us more experience and growth
Noa, gave us 9 months of excitement that made us move to Dunedin for some time to be close to the hospital. He was born early due to Placenta Accreta and after a long surgery it was touch and go for Laura & Noa but they both survived and Noa is now 7 and great little man. Our favorite charity is Nicu after all the help and support we got by the nurses during our time there
The hardest one by far is that Laura, my best friend and wife was suddenly diagnosed with a brain tumor and severe swelling on her brain back in 2018. We spent most of 6 months in Dunedin for Laura’s 3 brain surgeries that was needed to remove a large tumor in the center of her brain, the risk of dying and if surviving not being able to walk and talk was high. Laura survived and walked out of that hospital by herself against the odds.
She is now doing her best to recover by doing meditations and living a more mindful life. Laura is not back at work yet but can’t wait to start meeting all our amazing couples, especially when Covid is gone.
During this very difficult time no couples were let down or even knew it was happening thanks to the solid foundations and work we have put into Heli Weddings as a long term business.
The not so romantic but very important stuff
- We were established in 2007, and are the original Heli Wedding Company. To date we have done well over 1000 weddings.
- Qualmarked : the offical quality assurance organisation in NZ. We are the only Heli Wedding company with this qualification in New Zealand.
- Fulltime Photographers that only work at Heli Weddings. This guarantees that we have back ups and consistent style.
- Heli Weddings is with you on the day, we don’t out source.
- Fulltime staff that are here to help the planning process and any questions you might have
- We own Queenstowns largest Commercial photography studio. It is available as backup location and is where we meet you the day before your wedding day.
- 2 Ford Ranger Wildtraks cars customised for weddings & 1 white VW Tiguan Allspace that are licensed to take passengers and upgraded to latest models every two years.
- Our Photographers have Passenger licences ( a legal requirement) and First aid certificates .
- Heli Weddings fly with the best helicopters and have flown with the same pilots for many years and offer the most flexibility on the day and flexibility of locations
- Heli Weddings can offer back up days if weather means we can not fly on the day.
- We have the latest camera gear and back up gear.
- Our studio operate with a color calibrated workflow with IMac Pro computers and extensive raid back ups and cloud back ups to make sure your images are always safe.
- Health and safety: We are audited every year and run a strict health and safety policy
- Our lead photographer and owner has more Photography Awards than any other photographer in Queenstown and named in the Top 2 Wedding photographers in the world 2017.
We have built our businesses on providing the highest quality and service. When booking a New Zealand Destination Wedding with Heli Weddings you know you’re in the best of hands.
If you are looking for a lower budget Mountain Wedding here in Queenstown, check out our sister site Mountain Weddings
Qualmark | NZ tourism’s official quality mark
We are part of Qualmark. Qualmark is New Zealand tourism’s official quality assurance organisation, providing a trusted guide to quality travel experiences. Qualmark makes it easy to select high quality products and services. When you see a business displaying the Qualmark symbol you can be assured that the business has met stringent quality standards – earning New Zealand tourism’s official quality mark.
Heli Weddings can provide ground transport in our own luxury 4×4 cars. We have 2 black Ford Ranger Wildtrak’s and 1 white VW Tiguan Allspace. We hold a Transport Licence, are passenger licenced and can legally take passengers.
Our lead photographer and owner Fredrik Larsson, is Queenstown and Wanaka’s most awarded Wedding photographer and a member of the top international photo organizations WPPI & SWPP as well as the national AIPA. He was awarded 2nd Place in The Worlds Top 10 Wedding Photographers in 2017. He has vast local knowledge when it comes to photo locations on the ground and in the mountains and has trained all our photographers. All photographers are trained by Fredrik and have to do a minimum of 50 weddings with Fredrik at all our location before shooting for us